Monday, August 19, 2013

Is my health at risk from all the nail polish I use?

nail polish health
 on ... sticker, 150x French nail art, Nail Sticker,3D Sticker,free shipping
nail polish health image



sugar4586


I have an addiction to nail polish. I use it every day, trying out new designs and techniques. Is my health at risk because of this? I'm getting a little scared, because I've been reading about cancer and whatnot.


Answer
yes it can if you use it alot. Some chemicals in nail polish can be harmful if youâre regularly exposed to them. The two most common chemicals are formaldehyde and toluene.

Formaldehyde is used as a hardener in nail polish. Breathing in formaldehyde can irritate your eyes, nose and throat and lungs. There is a known cancer risk if you're exposed to high levels of formaldehyde over long periods through your work. Although it may not be good for you to be exposed to formaldehyde too often, your unborn baby is unlikely to be affected. That's because formaldehyde is rapidly broken down in your body.

Toluene is used to help nail polish glide on more smoothly. Breathing in toluene can irritate your eyes, throat and lungs. Thereâs also a risk that exposure to toluene at high levels can damage the nervous system and cause birth defects in an unborn baby. You'd need to be regularly, directly inhaling toluene fumes for this to be a risk.

If you paint your nails often, or if you work as a nail technician, there may be a small risk from being affected these chemicals.

Is there any nail polish that is safe for cats to be around with?




J


I am not putting nail polish on the cat. If I put nail polish on a fake hand will the cat be safe around it and I am worry if it gnaw on the nails so please answer!
I also want to buy the nail polish at a store.



Answer
I wouldn't trust any kind of nail polish around a cat.
There is at least one that is sold as non-toxic but if you think there is a chance the cat would gnaw at it I'd hide the fake hand - put a glove on it.
Non-toxic nail polish brand: Priti. http://www.pritinyc.com/

Update: Try looking for it in a store like Whole Foods Market in the health and beauty section. They may have that brand or another non-toxic nail polish.

Update 2: Here is a list of stores that sell Priti:
http://www.pritinyc.com/United-States_ep_44.html




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment