Monday, October 28, 2013

What do you think of essie nail polish?

nail polish swatches
 on MAC Jade Dragon Nail Polish Swatches
nail polish swatches image



<3


I'm thinking of getting some but I've never used good nail polish i always used to cheap drugstore brands and I'm getting sick of them, I know about OPI but long story short I can't get them for several reasons, i might after but right now im focusing on essies, so im really liking the colors online, how is the quality, what are pros and cons? would you recommend them?


Answer
I want to start by saying that each nail polish is different. Not brand, but polish. Some of my favorite polishes are cheap polishes, one that comes to mind in particular is Essence Choose Me! It's 99 cents and beautiful. You can find great quality nail polishes cheap as well. Sally Hansen is phenomenal for drug store polishes. Those who buy only "salon polish" are truly missing out, and I feel sorry that they think that because it's more expensive that it's better quality. Nail polish is it's own creature and expensive certainly does not mean better. I'm saying this with the experience of having tried everything from cheap essence polishes to Chanel. Most of my collection consists of Orly polishes because I have found I consistently love their formula, color, and finish selection, also because they're easily available. And their price is fine for me - $5-$7.

Choose polish based on the individual polish, not the brand. If it's a color and finish that you just love, buy it! If it's a regular pink or red creme, you can buy those in any brand and I suggest a cheaper brand purely because those colors are so common. Specifically with Essie, they do a LOT of sheer colors and neutral colors. That's their thing. If you like that, then go for it! I haven't had any major problems with their formula being particularly streaky or anything. But seriously, watch out for sheers. If it looks like a pretty pastel pink in the bottle, it may show up as next to nothing on the nail. This doesn't mean the quality is bad, it's just what Essie intended.

Before you buy polish, you can always use google and search "*polish brand* *color name* swatch". So an example would be "Essie Mint Candy Apple Swatch". There are many, many nail polish bloggers that will show you swatches of the color on nails, and tell you about the formula. You can also use sites like nailgal.com that are filled with swatches of different polishes and you can look for a specific polish in their search.

If you're concerned about chipping and wear, many people don't realize the significance and importance of a good top and base coat. I don't know if you're using a base and top coat, but if you're not, you need to. You need a combination of both, and you can make almost any nail polish last for a week+. They also certainly help prevent yellowing or staining to the nails. Here are some of the best top and base coats on the market:

Top Coats:
Seche Vite
Poshe
Sally Hansen Insta-Dri

Base Coats:
CND Stickey
Barielle (there are several different ones)
Gelous
Orly Bonder
I personally use Sally Hansen Double Duty Top and Base Coat (ONLY as a base coat) and I love it.

Top and Base Coat set:
Zoya's Color Lock System is becoming VERY popular, and a lot of other nail fanatics are swearing by it.

The other thing is WRAP YOUR TIPS!! Wrapping will REALLY help prevent chipping. Wrap every layer you use from base to top. Wrapping is simply when you make sure the polish goes over the tip of your nail and just around to the underside. So when you look at your nail straight on at the tip, you don't see the white of your nail.

Edit - I spelled a couple of things wrong!

How to make matte nail polish?




Sofia


Can I turn a glossy nail polish into matte?
I saw girls doing matte nail polish with a glossy nail polish, how are they doing that?



Answer
When you have painted your nails, first seal it with a normal glossy top coat. Then apply a mattifying top coat. For example: Essie "Matte about you". Most nail polish brands have matte top coats. Look at the difference:
http://manisandmakeovers.blogspot.nl/2013/08/swatch-it-sunday-golden-rose-jolly.html
Scroll down a bit and you see where I applied the matte top coat.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment