Sunday, May 18, 2014

Migi Nail Art? Is is a rip off? Is it worth the money for the whole pack?




mynameisma


i am very interested in nails at the moment. my friend ordered something on the internet called Migi Nail Art. i went on the website and saw that the WHOLE nail kit was $99. My mom thanks it is not worth all that money for nails. she also thinks it is a rip off. is it worth it?? is it a rip off?? Also can you purchase it in a store for at least $100. what store??

first one to give me a decent answer get 10 points!!



Answer
Ha. I love painting my nails too, or having my mom do it. I always get compliments and stuff.
My comment on "Migi Nail Art":
I think its a rip off. I've never used it, but you can do about the same thing with household items. Use the tip of a sharp pencil or a toothpick. Dip it in the paint (put some paint on a bag or paper plate) and design. I'm not sure if it will look as professional as this "Migi Nail Art", but my mom does mine that way and everyone loves them! They are totally fierce.You can use skinny paintbrushes too, for not so detailed things like hearts and such.
~hope that helps and good luck! i hope your nails look great!

How do I make a glossy finish from household items?




ChrisFitz7


I made some figures from fire-at-home modelling clay, and I have already fired them. As an afterthought, I would like them to have a glossy finish. Would egg whites do that? Or anything else made from household items?
Edit: by 'household items' I mean things likely to already be in the typical home. I have 3 tiny figures that I wish to make glossy. I don't intend to buy a 12oz can of anything. The goal is to buy nothing -- instead to use something (or some combination of things) to get the effect.



Answer
By "fire-at-home" clay, I assume you mean "polymer clay" --like Fimo, Premo, Sculpey, Kato, Cernit, etc.
(Technically "modeling" clay is plasticine, the kind of clay that will never harden--like ClayToons, etc. Many people tend to use the term modeling clay loosely though.)

If you're using a polymer clay, you can use any kind of gloss material you can find as long as it *isn't* petroleum-solvent based (something that would "clean up" with paint thinner --only with water or soap&water). I've never heard of anyone using egg whites on cured polymer clay, but you could certainly always try it.

Some of the more common materials used to give a gloss or a sheen to polymer clay are:
...clear polyurethanes (sold at hardware stores to seal bare wood)...gloss, indoor, Varathane is a favorite
...Future (now called Pledge with Future Shine) or Mop 'N Glo (floor polishes)
...clear nail polish (not the ones called "enamels")
...any of the clear sealers sold at craft or art supply stores (glossy, if you want that effect)
..."decoupage mediums" like ModPodge or Royal Coat, or just a permanent white glue like Elmers GlueAll thinned down 3 or 4 to 1 with water... or "dimensional" white glues like Diamond Glaze (none of those will be quite as impervious to scratching or humidity as the others mentioned but probably fine)
...2-part epoxy resin (like Envirotex Lite) or epoxy glue (like Devcon's 2 Ton)

Polymer clay can also be given a sheen all the way up to a high glossy shine by "sanding and buffing" it.
Wet-dry sandpaper (black in color) is used along with some water. For most items, sanding (briefly) with 400 grit then 600 grit will be fine.
Then buff --use hand buffing on your jeans or with any cloth to get a nice sheen... or use an electric buffer with a muslin/cotton wheel to go all the way up to a high gloss.
(Polymer clay can also be given a nice sheen with clear waxes like shoe polish. And rubbed-in Vaseline could work a bit too. )

You can get loads more info about all those materials and techniques on these pages of my polymer clay "encyclopedia" site if you're interested:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/finishes.htm
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/sanding_tumbling.htm
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/buffing.htm

HTH,

Diane B.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment