Saturday, February 15, 2014

How can I personalized my BMW key?




~~~Bethany


Whenever my car is parked by the valet I freak out because all BMW keys look exactly alike. Almost all...can I put a coat of nail polish on it or a sticker and would that effect how the car starts?? Thanks!
yeah...thanks so much but the BMW key looks REALLY different!!!



Answer
Nail polish and stickers wear off pretty quickly - you can buy colored plastic/rubber rings that go around the outside edge of keys:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=key+top+covers&hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1280&bih=857&tbm=isch&tbnid=k32oxt-jjpxrhM:&imgrefurl=http://www.ebay.com/itm/200791377529&docid=Y-MqygirmITYBM&imgurl=http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Coloured-Key-Rings-Key-Top-Covers-Key-Tags-Rubber-Rings-Key-Markers-Key-Cap-x-10-/00/s/MTAzNFgxNjAw/%2524T2eC16J,!zEE9s3!(IZ8BP%252Bpk,s%252B7g~~60_35.JPG&w=300&h=193&ei=aU0TUbDlLdGy0AGhtIDQCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=89&vpy=464&dur=656&hovh=154&hovw=240&tx=152&ty=95&sig=113540529816798961497&page=2&tbnh=141&tbnw=220&start=37&ndsp=43&ved=1t:429,r:45,s:0,i:221

Or those that cover the entire outside:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=key+top+covers&hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1280&bih=857&tbm=isch&tbnid=OIT5Hs1_bnFjlM:&imgrefurl=http://www.ebay.com/itm/320943500271&docid=Zpw2pJAsuVt4TM&imgurl=http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Coloured-Key-Caps-Key-Top-Covers-Tags-Caps-ID-Markers-Key-Markers-Key-Cap-x-10-/00/s/MTEyMFgxNjAw/%2524T2eC16JHJH8E9qSEUgDTBP%252BpGck,)!~~60_35.JPG&w=300&h=210&ei=aU0TUbDlLdGy0AGhtIDQCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=300&vpy=136&dur=2219&hovh=168&hovw=240&tx=140&ty=93&sig=113540529816798961497&page=1&tbnh=136&tbnw=194&start=0&ndsp=37&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0,i:87

They're cheap, and come in many colors and designs.

EDIT: I did an image search of beemer keys... you're right, they are odd... but then I also found this link for BMW Key Covers:

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/BMW_Accessories_Key_Cover.html

How do fix my piano key?




Kobe Chen


Some ink got on my piano keyboard and then I stupidly tried nail polish remover to get it off. Instead I realized I got this layer of paint or something off and now my key feels rough and is a different color. Is there something I could buy to repaint it on?


Answer
Yes. You don't state just what kind of piano this is. Is it a cheap Walmart piano? An acoustic piano with synthetic keys? A Yamaha Clavinova? If it is a more expensive instrument it may have glued on "ivories." In such case, the ivory, which is a thin covering on a wood key, can be removed and replaced which is what I would do in my shop. If someone brought me a cheaper model electronic instrument with an acetone (nail polish remover) damaged, one piece plastic key, this is what I would do: If the key had been eroded by the acetone to the point where there were deep "craters" in it I would fill these with automotive body filler - Bondo - first masking off the adjacent keys with masking tape. I would then cover the filler with white acrylic paint (nail polish). If there was not serious erosion from the acetone, I would simply do a light sanding and apply the paint. The paint has to be as hard and white as possible - thus the nail polish. I would be careful that the paint does not dissolve the key, testing on the underside of the damaged key first. If it does, I would switch to enamel paint. I would let the paint dry for at least one day to achieve maximum hardness after which I would lightly sand the key surface to flatten it using 220 paper and a flat, hard sanding block cut to the width of the key. I would then wet sand the key with 1,500 paper to get it as smooth as possible being very careful not to let water drip inside the instrument. This may at least give the key an adequate feel. If I wanted to make it shine, I would buff it with a small buffing wheel in a hand drill and "Mirror Glaze" buffing compound. Yes, this is a fairly involved procedure but you could do it yourself with a few inexpensive items available at an automotive store. It depends on how much skill you have and if you are willing to take the risk of making it worse. On the other hand, you might use this information and ask someone who is "good with tools" to do it for you rather than put up with a damaged key.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment