Friday, September 6, 2013

How come men do not need makeup like women?

nail polish 1970s
 on BSB: Beauty news, makeup swatches and pictures, nail polish articles ...
nail polish 1970s image



MAG





Answer
Nobody NEEDS makeup. It's a want. And in our society, the norm is for women to wear makeup, while men say that they don't. It's possible to put on very subtle makeup, and just appear to be not wearing any. I can put on just a touch of eyeliner, and mascara, and eyeshadow, and foundation, and blush, and I won't look like I'm wearing makeup, I'll just look better. And I can make a guy up doing about the same thing, and he'll look like he's not wearing any makeup at all. In the 80s, it was very faddish for men, especially young men, to wear visible makeup. And in centuries past, again, men wore makeup, that is, they powdered their faces with white powder, and put bits of court plaster on their faces. Court plaster is the stuff that forms those black beauty marks on people's faces in the old paintings. And both men and women wore powdered wigs. It's just a question of what is in style at the moment. Similarly, it was quite a fad for men to wear high heels in centuries past...and again in the 1970s/1980s, men wore platform shoes with high heels.

A lot of professional men get manicures. Usually this consists of conditioning the hands and nails, shaping and filing the nails, and clear nail polish. Sometimes men even wear artificial nails. Almost always, though, this sort of grooming is so that the hands and nails look natural, but very neat. And if it's properly done, nobody can tell the difference (unless they use polish remover) from very neat natural nails.

For the record, I usually don't wear any makeup. I did buy and use some face powder a little over a year ago, when I had some oral surgery done. I had a great deal of bruising on my face, enough so that the oral surgeon joked that he should have me come in the back door and hide out in a treatment room, because I scared his other patients.

difference between emos, gothics, juggalos, scenes, & punks?




Jess


can someone please tell me the difference between all of the above?

I know that:
emos wear black and white, stripes etc. piercings and they have suicidal thoughts.
goth wear black clothing, black boots, wear black nail polish, black lipstick, make their face white etc.
juggalos no idea.
scenes (girls) they have like weird hairstyles? wear rocker clothes, maybe bright clothes.
punks, hairstyle are like mohawks they wear dark colours, wear spike bracelets etc

i may be wrong and i might not be right, i just heard a little about some of them.

please tell me the difference between all of them if you can, thanks!

i just want to know because im curious, i mean, i like this type of style but i dont know if its emo, gothic, screamo or scene...



Answer
Oh dear, this is quite a loaded question.

"Emos" -- Emo's origins can be traced back to the 1980s in Washington DC. It all started out as a music genre known as "Emotive Hardcore". A certain fashion movement was started by the fans of the music, and that seems to be the only thing that remains of the whole thing. From what I can tell, kids who call themselves "Emo" don't really care for the music.

And no, they don't all strictly have suicidal thoughts. I think a majority of teenagers, if not all, have had at least one suicidal thought. Teenagers go through emotional roller-coasters, so it isn't surprising that they're so prone to depression and suicidal tendencies (I know that I went through a depression phase when I was younger). If a kid is genuinely depressed, it isn't because of what they're wearing.

"Scene" -- I'm not entirely sure where, when, or how that movement came about. I'm going to take an educated guess and say that it came about because of a specific kind of music, and it would have been fairly recently. The first time I ever heard of it was about 2006ish when my sister was going through that phase, but I don't know for certain how long it's been around. From what I gather, "Scene" kids seem to be the more colorful siblings of "Emo". Favoring neon colors, wildly-streaked, poofy hair, and more "cutesy" designs.

Juggalos... I actually had to do a quick search on Google to get an idea of what they are. I've heard the term many times, but I've never bothered to look into it. Juggalos, from the little I read, are those who tend to be fans of bands like ICP (Insane Clown Posse). They like sporting Kiss-esque makeup and being obnoxiously flamboyant -- if you ask me.

Punk -- Punk was/is a music genre that started out in the late 70s, but it didn't start to really pick up until the 80s, due to the dominance of genres like Heavy Metal at the time. The most well-known Punk bands/musicians are the Ramones, the Clash, and Iggy Pop. Punk developed it's own subculture consisting of fans who loved the music and formed a fashion and a lifestyle that went along with it. Punks were typically portrayed as being the wild, anti-conforming types. I'd say that Punk is where a lot of the negative stereotypes related to violent behavior that are thrown on the Gothic subculture come from.

Goth -- The Gothic subculture, depending on how you look at it, is the oldest of all of these by far. Gothic imagery has been present in literature and all kinds of art for almost as long as humanity has been producing those kind of things, but the term wasn't actually applied to anything until the first millenia, when "Gothic art" and "Gothic architecture" came about. Later on (1700s) it was used as a label for a literary genre that was described as a mix of Romance and Horror: Gothic Fiction. Even further down the road, a music movement that was a branch-off of Punk started in the late 1970s: Gothic Rock.

The Gothic subculture, mindset, etc., are really best described by the description of the genre: "a mix of Romance and Horror"; it's a Romantic take on Horror and macabre. Those in the Gothic community are those who genuinely enjoy a darker aesthetic.

Response to one of the other answers: Er, what "Gothic religion"? There isn't one that I know of, and so far the Black Council hasn't taken points off of my Goth Card for not adhering to said-religion. Goths don't always have to wear black everywhere. Some Goths don't even wear black at all. "Goth" is in your head, not on your clothes.

Well, that's the best I can offer. I hope I was helpful!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment