Saturday, October 5, 2013

How can I seal acrylic paint onto glass?

nail polish jars
 on BYS Glam Glitter Nail Polish Mini 7ml Bottles
nail polish jars image



Lea


Would transparent nail-polish work? I wanted to make bathroom decor by painting over plain glass jars with acrylic. So they'll hardly be touched.

Still, just to make the paint last longer I was wondering what would be a cheap and inexpensive way to hold the paint in place?

I remember my art teacher in university telling me to use transparent nail polish, but I was wondering if there might be something else?

Also, I don't live in Canada nor UK nor the US.



Answer
Modge Podge is the answer! You can get it from most craft stores (In the US you can get it at Walmart..) but here it's about 5USD and will seal any paint on any surface and make it moderately waterproof.
Modge Podge is a sealant, glue, and finish. It's this white thick liquid (you buy it in plastic jars) and you paint it on with a brush (it comes out white but dries clear :3 ) then it dries and acts as a clear protective coat over your jars.
Now, if you can't find any where you live, just go to any craft store and find a clear gloss or finish. It'll be fairly cheap :) It'll most definitely be around 5USD. Clear nail polish would work too, but it'll be a hassle brushing it all on lol.

How can I remove the design from a mason jar?




J


I bought a large mason jar at the thrift store. It has a pattern of holly leaves on it that seems to be painted on and sealed. I would like to remove it to have just a clear jar. Any ideas of how to get the paint off? I have tried goo gone and nail polish remover and neither had done anything.


Answer
I have never seen that one so perhaps you got a gold mine. Check Mason web site and see when it was made. This might be a collectible as it may be layered into the glass itself. Otherwise "steel wool" and scraping with a steel knife (neither scratches glass as they are the same hardness.) But before wrecking it, I would check it out as a collector piece.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment